As the B2B buying process has become more complex, much of the buyer’s journey remains invisible to marketers. While we’ve had a clear view into what our prospects do when they come to our websites, we haven’t had much insight to their behavior outside of them. Unfortunately, a majority of their vendor research happens well before they visit our websites, blogs, social media and competitor sites. To reach these buyers at the first sign of interest and get a leg up on the competition, marketers need to identify and understand their true intent early on — and link this knowledge to marketing and sales activities, before it’s too late to influence the buying cycle.
What is Demandbase Intent?
Demandbase Intent leverages a combination of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and machine learning to analyze and learn from Demandbase’s comprehensive B2B database. Drawing annually on 600 billion B2B interactions across the web, 4 billion IP addresses, and 36B B2B site visits, it’s the only intent-monitoring technology that instantly maps global B2B interactions between accounts and individual buyers with B2B products and topics.
AI driven logic helps you uncover accounts that are showing a high level of intent. That means the account is more likely to engage on your site and turn into an opportunity.
Demandbase Intent identifies the online activities of accounts and buying committees to capture their first moment of interest in your company. It tracks activity across the Internet, so you can understand which accounts are researching topics relevant to your products, which is the first, true sign of intent.
Demandbase technology gathers intent data from the following sources:
- Public business registries for basic firmographics.
- B2B content consumption: Demandbase uses its publisher/advertising network to observe what types of content company employees are reading. Today that network includes more than 5,000 premium B2B websites globally.
- B2B content production: Demandbase crawls the open web for content tied to key company decision makers and stakeholders — blog posts, interviews, bylines, forum posts, speaking slots and panel participation, etc.
- Engagement on your website for direct intent signals.
Demandbase technology was built with a recognition that today’s B2B purchasing process typically involves many individuals — from primary decision makers down to other influencers on the periphery. By using dynamic advertising bidding, for example, Demandbase puts ad budgets to optimal use by bidding higher CPMs for the “high-intent” individuals and retargeting users, but also capturing those on the periphery, who may have a less significant role in a purchase decision, when the price is right.
How It Works
Identifying intent starts when you add keywords to your audience profile in the Demandbase ABM Platform. AI then looks to expand to other keywords related to what you have identified leveraging a vocabulary of 105,000 keywords. AI looks for related keywords in an article to determine relevance — and also searches for combinations of keywords ensure proper context.
Demandbase then shows which accounts are showing trending intent for the audience within the ABM Platform.
What constitutes high intent?
Reading of one article doesn’t indicate high intent. Demandbase AI also considers:
- How many relevant articles did they read? More articles imply stronger interest.
- Over how many different days? A potential buyer would have sustained interest.
- How old were the articles? New articles are likely “news of the day” while older articles imply vendor research.
- How recently did they read the articles? Timing is everything.
- How rare are the relevant keywords in the articles? Rarer/more specific keywords imply cookie is farther into the buyer journey.
- Do they have intent in other topics that disqualifies them?
Common Use Cases for Intent Signals
- Identify what your target accounts are researching.
- Increase marketing productivity by focusing resources and budgets on target accounts showing high intent.
- Increase sales productivity by sharing intent insights that help them prioritize their account engagements.
- Help sales have more productive and relevant conversations based on intent signals.
- Understand if your customers are researching your competitors.
- Create sub-audiences of target accounts showing similar intent for targeted campaigns.
- Personalize the ad and web experience based on intent.