Solutions to Use
- Demandbase Google Analytics Integration (Required)
- Google Analytics (Required)
Google Analytics (GA) provides you with an understanding of which of your acquisition channels are driving traffic to your website. At a high level this enables you as a marketer to assess the quality of you channels based solely on volume of traffic and onsite engagement. The problem with this approach is that as a B2B business, it is unclear how good the quality of the traffic being driven to your website is. With Demandbase's GA integration you can now evaluate acquisition channels by the accounts they drive to your website.
Follow these steps to use the integration to evaluate your acquisition channels and take action. If you have any questions please reach out to your Customer Success Manager.
- Step 1: Set Up the Acquisition Channel Report
- Step 2: Adjust the Date Range
- Step 3: Interpret and Take Action
Step 1: Set Up the Acquisition Channel Report
View the video for a walk through of the Acquisition Channel Report setup steps. The instructions are also included below.
1.1. Enter your Google Analytics instance and click Customization.
1.2. Click New Custom Report.
1.3. Name your report -- for example, “Demandbase Acquisition Channels.”
1.4. Go to Type and confirm it is defaulted to Explorer.
1.5. Add the Metrics.
We recommend including the following Metrics, but you can choose whatever metrics suit your needs best:
- Bounce Rate
1.6. Add the Dimensions.
Explorer reports in GA display the dimensions you set here in a three-layer drill-down format. We recommend including following dimensions in this drill-down order:
- Layer 1 -- Source/Medium: Lets you see all of your acquisition channels.
- Layer 2 -- Company Name: Let’s you see the names of each identified company on your website coming through a channel during a specific time period.
- Layer 3 -- Pages: Shows you all the pages on your site that a company from a specific channel viewed on your website during the time period.
1.7. Add the following Filters:
- Exclude Company Name > Regex > "YOUR COMPANY NAME": This removes visitors from your own company
- Exclude Company Name > Exact > "(Non-Company Visitor)": This removes visitors from unidentified companies.
1.8. Click Save.
Step 2: Adjust the Date Range
Google analytics defaults to seven days and top 10 accounts, so feel free to expand the dates and number of companies on the report to suit your needs.
Step 3: Interpret and Take Action
Your custom Acquisition Channel Report lists out all your acquisition channels including paid, organic, direct, and referral traffic. We recommend filtering out non-paid channels in the future to assess where your ad resources are going and consider if you need to reallocate resources to more successful channels.
Use the report to measure engagement metrics at the account level. The number of users, pageviews, and bounce rates are great metrics to understand the engagement on your site once a company has clicked through your ads.