Demandbase Targeting is Demandbase's digital advertising solution for B2B marketers. Built according to the principles of Account-Based Marketing, Targeting helps marketers and agencies advertise to prioritized accounts and their relevant decision makers and stakeholders. The Demandbase Targeting helps you in 3 ways:
1. Identify the Accounts that Matter Most
- Build audiences tailored to your ideal customer profile, using AI to find accounts with firmographic fit and strong intent signals.
- Rank, filter and segment account lists for different tactics and programs.
2. Advertise to Those Accounts
- Reach buyers within your target companies showing intent for your offering.
- Personalize your message with dynamic creative.
- Optimize campaign delivery and pacing across accounts to maximize performance.
3. Measure at the Account Level
- Focus on business outcomes with dashboards and analytics built for B2B.
- Report on account-level reach, engagement and CRM outcomes.
Steps for Working with the Targeting Solution
To maximize your advertising budget and protect your brand, it’s crucial to reach the actual buyers in your target accounts with relevant ads on brand-safe sites. Demandbase Targeting Solution helps you execute account-based marketing campaigns to accomplish this piece of your ABM strategy.
To implement account-based marketing campaigns, you’ll use the Targeting Solution and the Demandbase ABM Platform with Account Selection to:
- Build an Audience for Your Ad Campaign
- Create and Implement Personalized Ads
- Measure the Results of Your Ad Campaign
Build an Audience for Your Ad Campaign
Use Demandbase Account Selection to create a new audience filtered specifically for accounts with the strongest buying signals. This can either be a ranking of accounts or Demandbase can unearth a list of in-market accounts. Then use this list with your next ad campaign to drive optimal business outcomes. By monitoring content consumption behaviors from around the web and using artificial intelligence to discover engagement patterns, Demandbase identifies those with a high likelihood of being in-market for your solutions while also uncovering decision makers and stakeholders for a given account.
How Does Demandbase Account Selection Work?
Demandbase Account Selection starts by asking some basic questions about your industry, your ideal customer profile, your competitors and common keywords that relate to your offering.
Sample image of the profile builder in the ABM Platform
In addition to helping identify companies showing intent signals, your profile keywords also inform campaign targeting by pointing Demandbase’s ABM Platform toward the specific individuals within accounts who are showing research activity. These individuals make up your buying committee, and they are the most important to your campaign. You can use Keyword Discovery (a Targeting Solution capability) to identify new keywords based on the activities of your target buying committees.
Account Selection gives a detailed window into why each account was chosen, including the companies’ employee interactions with your own site as well as the content those employees are engaging with on the internet. The sample image below displays information for a specific account including: why the account was chosen, website activity for this account and the keywords researched by employees at this account.
Keyword Discovery, a Targeting Solution capability, helps you discover new areas of intent for buyers at your target accounts. Use it to generate new keywords for Search Engine Marketing (SEM), and to inform your content marketing tactics.
You can use Keyword Discovery to identify new relevant keywords by:
- Increasing click volume by capturing your buyers’ attention from a broader range of intent signals.
- Getting an edge on your competitors and improving search engine marketing efficiency by finding. keywords that are contextually similar but less intuitive – and therefore less competitive, and less expensive.
Keyword Discovery can also drive a great amount of value for content marketing and Search Engine Optimization (SEO). Keyword Discovery results can give marketers a basis to audit the content on their sites, in order to:
- Speak the buyer's language by elevating the impact of your website and other digital channels with content that aligns to the demonstrated intent of your target accounts.
- Maximize organic search traffic with an SEO strategy that reaches into adjacent content areas.
How Does Keyword Discovery Work?
To use Keyword Discovery, you must first build an Account Selection profile and generate an account list and audience. The account list audience, and more specifically, the individuals within those accounts from whom Demandbase has observed engagement on the keywords provided in the profile, becomes the group that Demandbase monitors for new keywords.
How to Access Keyword Discovery
You access Keyword Discovery in the ABM Platform by selecting Targeting > Keyword Discovery in the top menu bar.
After your profile and audience are built, you generate keywords by selecting a profile and audience and then selecting Generate Keywords.
Keyword Cloud Results
After you click Generate Keywords, Demandbase displays the results in a Keyword Cloud View and a Top Keywords Table.
Keyword Cloud View
You’ll see two types of keywords in a Keyword Cloud:
- Blue Keywords: These are the keywords already set up in your organization’s Demandbase Profile.
- Orange Keywords: These are discovered for you by Demandbase Artificial Intelligence.
The size of the keyword corresponds with its rank, which is determined by a combination of:
- Volume of engagement from target accounts
- Contextual similarity to your profile keywords
- Distinctiveness to your target accounts
You can click each word in the Keyword Cloud to view the top five accounts reading about it as well as add it to your organization's Demandbase Profile. The image below is an example of a Keyword Cloud.
Top Keywords Table View
In the Top Keywords Table you can view details about each keyword from the searchable Top Keywords table, including:
- The account ranking
- Number of accounts with trending off-site intent
- SEM score
- How many people are researching it
- Source of the keyword
- Example URLs where there has been significant recent activity
Create and Deliver Personalized Ads
Personalized ads are more engaging and lead to more qualified traffic.
Demandbase Targeting Solution uses Demandbase’s patented technology to find people at specific companies out on the greater Web and serve personalized ads to them. An analysis across hundreds of Demandbase campaigns revealed that personalized ads garner 52% better engagement and increase conversion rates by 60% compared to non-personalized ads.
Demandbase has a high-performance ad tech stack that offers unique targeting and delivery capabilities with clear tracking and results.
The Demandbase Targeting Solution can efficiently deliver personalized ads for each of your account-based advertising campaigns. Our technology serves dynamically personalized ad creative to each audience you specify. The example below shows how you can dynamically serve personalized ads based on company, industry or other custom attributes.
Types of Audiences to Target with Personalized Ads
You can create a variety of audiences to target with personalized ads. Here are some commonly-used types:
- Most valuable customers
- New business
- Upsell/cross sell
Here are the basic steps for delivering personalized ads:
- Identify your target companies
- Choose an attribute to personalize
- Submit your ad creative files to Demandbase
- Serve ads to only target companies across the web
Measure the Results of Your Ad Campaign
Campaign reporting helps you connect and show the influence of of your campaigns to actual business outcomes. In addition, campaign reporting helps you become more transparent around account level data and metrics as well as where your ads are running on B2B safe websites. You use the Campaigns Dashboard (shown below) to help you track the status of your campaigns.
Sample image of Campaigns Reporting Dashboard in the ABM Platform
Working with Filters
You can use filters to sort your campaign reporting by status, audience, profile and date range.
If you want to filter by date range, you can view your campaign reporting by a given week or month. Select the date range you would like to view and the campaign data will update.
Steps for Using Campaign Reporting
Log in to the ABM Platform and follow these steps.
- Step 1: Navigate to Targeting > Campaigns
- Step 2: Review the Stages Tab
- Step 3: Review the Accounts Tab
- Step 4: Review the Publishers Tab
- Step 5: Review the Creatives Tab
Step 1: Navigate to Targeting > Campaigns
1.1 Select the checkbox next to the campaign you’d like to view.
1.2 Select the blue arrow to view more details about the campaign.
Step 2: Review the Stages Tab
The Stages tab shows the value your campaigns have on business outcomes and the closed/won deals for your organization including valuable metrics such as Cost per Account Visited and Cost per Account Engaged. These metrics not only help you to gauge the effectiveness of your Demandbase campaigns but are also metrics you can adopt across your other partners or paid efforts.
2.1 Review the metrics for each stage in the funnel, including Reached, Visited, Clicked, Engaged, Converted, Opportunity, and Won.
2.2 You can export the results of your campaign and share it with your stakeholders by using the Export option at the top of the Campaigns window or within the Accounts, Publishers, or Creatives tabs.
Step 3: Review the Accounts Tab
3.1 Review the Accounts tab to see a detailed view of account activity including: Click Through Rate (CTR), Effective CPM, Cost Per Click (CPC), Cost Per Conversion and the accounts that are Engaged. The Engaged column gives you the ability to understand which accounts being advertised to are also engaged on the website.
To change the columns of information on this tab, click the More button and select the columns you want to view.
Step 4: Review the Publishers Tab
4.1 Take a look at the Publishers tab to see exactly where your ads are running across our carefully curated whitelist of B2B sites.
Step 5: Review the Creatives Tab
5.1 Review the Creatives tab to view performance for the creatives in your campaign.
- Hover over the thumbnail icon next to the creative name. The creative thumbnail will then show along with a link to access the tear sheets.
- Click View tear sheet to see exactly what each creative would look like in a live environment. This functionality allows to see what the ad looks like and link through to the landing page for validation and confirmation.