Salesforce Installation Guide for Demandbase Sales Accelerator
Below are the steps to install and setup the Demandbase Sales Accelerator Application (App) within Salesforce. The setup for Sales Accelerator is a two-part process. This guide assumes that you have already contacted Demandbase to coordinate a list match. The list match is a process where your company provides account names and account IDs that will be tracked within the Salesforce Sales Accelerator App.
If you have received confirmation from Demandbase that you can proceed with your Salesforce install please follow the below instructions:
Demandbase Package Installation
- Install the link provided by Demandbase
- If installing into a sandbox first (recommended), follow these instructions: After inserting the installation URL into your browser, change the text in the URL from “login” to “test” and then push the “Enter” key.
- For installation into a Salesforce production environment, paste the installation URL that you have received from Demandbase into an already active Salesforce session.
- Then click the “Enter” key on your keyboard.
- Package Installation Process
- Choose Security Level: Select “Install for Admins Only”. Once you have the application installed, you can reassign various permission sets to your users.
- Click the “Install” button to complete the package installation.
- Approve Third-Party API Access Confirmation Screen
Click “Continue” to grant access between your Salesforce system and Demandbase’s API.
- Click “Continue” button to continue installation.
- Installation is now complete! Please proceed to the setup instructions below.
Demandbase Sales Acceleration Configuration
Now that the package is installed, it’s time to start the configuration of the system and setup of the users who will be using the App. This section of the document will walk you through:
- oAuth authentication process.
- “Sales Accelerator Administration” tab configuration.
- Permission set changes and assignment details.
- Adding the Sales Accelerator dashboard to the accounts and opportunity page layouts.
- Salesforce1 mobile settings.
oAuth Authentication Process
oAuth is the authentication method that the App uses to pass data between the Demandbase and Salesforce systems. It allows data to safely and securely pass through the API so that Salesforce can receive the proper data from Demandbase. Once the package has been installed, the next step is to enter in the credentials supplied by Demandbase to connect systems.
- Select the Demandbase Sales Accelerator from the app picklist.
- Select “Sales Accelerator Administration” tab.
- The first time you arrive at this tab, you will be prompted to complete the Demandbase username and password.
- Enter in the credentials provided to you by Demandbase and click the “Login” button.
- You will be prompted to click the “Authorize” button within a popup window. Once you’ve clicked “Authorize”, you will be taken back to the Sales Accelerator Administration tab within Salesforce.
Sales Accelerator Administration Tab Setup
The Sales Accelerator Administration tab is divided into the following sections and requires initial setup by a user with the System Administrator profile:
Data Sync Batch Settings
Used to manage the batch code within Salesforce that creates the sync between Salesforce and Demandbase.
Used to manage which user receives email notifications when there are issues with the code syncing data between the systems.
Used to manage the time period for the metrics displayed in the Sales Accelerator page components.
Used to manage Hot List and page view spike notifications via email and Chatter. Salesforce requires that Chatter posts have a user designated to post Chatter data. The Communication User setting manages which user will post Chatter messages for the Hot List and spikes.
Used to manage settings related to the Request Advertising feature. The Request Advertising feature allows sales users to submit requests for advertising campaigns run on Demandbase’s advertising platform.
Data Sync Batch Settings
Once the oAuth process has been completed (see earlier steps), the system will automatically launch an Apex process. This Apex process will run in order to establish the initial connection between your Salesforce instance and the Demandbase API.
In order to verify that this Apex batch process has completed successfully navigate to:
Setup > Monitoring > Apex Jobs
Make sure the job named “SyncSIDSchedulable” has completed as seen below. The batch size may vary depending on how many accounts you are tracking within Sales Accelerator but you must make sure that they have all completed with no failures. If there are failures please reach out for assistance.
The next step is to execute the page view batch. This process pulls in the Demandbase page view data for the accounts your company is tracking.
Note: If the “Email” or “Chatter” checkbox is checked within the “Communications” Section, it will send emails/Chatter posts for Hot List and page view spikes. It is recommended to keep these checkboxes unchecked until initial testing is complete within your system. Please uncheck these fields before proceeding to the next step.
- Click the “Refresh Data” button as seen below in order to run the Page View batch.
- Navigate back to the Apex job monitoring page to make sure the Apex class “PageViewSchedulable” has completed without any failures.
- The final step to complete setup is to click on the “Start” button in the Automated Sync section. This will queue up both batch processes run in earlier steps to run on a nightly basis to retrieve current data for the last 24-hours. The reason the batch runs daily is to pull in the freshest data for users to consume.
Note: Again, if the “Email” or “Chatter” checkboxes are checked it will send out emails/Chatter posts for Hot List and page view spikes. Please disable these checkboxes if you are not ready to send out this type of communication yet.
Additional Information on Data Sync Batch Settings Section:
The data sync process will need access to your account and opportunity objects. For the efficient functioning of the application, the user that runs the data sync processes should have full permissions to these objects.
The “Start” button setups the Sync SID and Page View batches to run each night. The Sync SID batch will schedule to run in the hour of 2:00 AM (based on local time zone of system), and the Page View Batch will schedule to run in the hour of 3:00 AM (based on local time zone of system).
The “Stop” button stops both the Sync SID and Page View batches that were scheduled by the “Start” button.
“Refresh Data” Button
This button allows the user to refresh the page view data “on demand”. Pushing this button allows the data to refresh outside the regularly scheduled page view nightly batch schedule. This does not alter the nightly Page View batch schedule.
“Sync Account List” Button
This button allows users to run the “Sync SIDs” batch “on demand”. This button will run the Sync SIDs batch at the push of the button. This does not alter the regularly scheduled Sync SIDs batch.
user designated within the field “Select Recipient” will receive system notifications, in the event any errors occur within the application – such as batch failures. There is code that attempts to match the Salesforce accounts to the data within the Demandbase API. If the data cannot be matched, then an email will be sent to this user. We recommend selecting the System Admin overseeing the installation process as the notification recipient.
“Select Recipient” Field
Upon the successful completion of the oAuth process, this field will auto-populate with the user that performed the oAuth process. Click the “Save” button within the section to save your changes.
This section of the Sales Accelerator Administration setup is for the account dashboard that you’ll be adding to your accounts and opportunity page layouts (discussed later in this document).
The timeframe you select within each setting extends to all accounts and opportunity page components. In order to save your selections, you will have to click the “Save” button within this section.
“Page View” Timeframe
The timeframe selected in this picklist controls how the total page views are calculated per account. It is displayed on the account/opportunity page dashboard. The timeframe you set within this section also becomes the default sort for the Sales Accelerator tab. You can select from the time periods below:
- Week over Week
- Month over Month
- Quarter over Quarter
“Page View Trend” Timeframe
The timeframe selected in this picklist controls the number of days to display for the page view trend information. It is displayed on the account/opportunity page dashboard. You can select from the time periods below:
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
Top 3 Pages Timeframe
The timeframe selected in this picklist controls how the top three pages are calculated per account. You can select from the time periods below:
- Last 7 Days
- Last 30 Days
- Last 90 Days.
The Communications section controls how users receive notifications regarding important events like when accounts are on a Hot List or receive page view spikes. The Hot List represents the account owner’s top 25 trending accounts based on page view data for the previous day. A page view spike is when an account’s single day page views are significantly higher than the accounts 30 day trailing average.
This is the user that will be noted as sending emails and Chatter posts within your system. Salesforce requires that Chatter posts be posted based on a specific user. Initially, we populate this field with the user that completed the oAuth process during the Application’s initial setup.
If this checkbox is checked, email notification will be sent out the account owner when an account receives a page view spike or the account is on the account owner’s Hot List.
If you would like to disable this notification, deselect the checkbox and click the “Save” button for the section.
Chatter Posts Checkbox
If this checkbox is checked, the chatter feed will be updated when an account is on the account owner’s Hot List or receives a page view spike.
If you would like to disable this notification, deselect the checkbox and click the “Save” button for the section.
Request Advertising Section
The Request Advertising section on this tab, relates to a button that is located on the account and opportunity dashboard. Sales users can submit requests to include an account in advertising campaigns that are run on Demandbase’s advertising platform.
By making a request, the user designated as the Marketing User in this section will receive a notification email and a task will be created to track the request. Please remember to click the “Save” button after making any changes to this section for the features to take effect.
Request Advertising Feature Checkbox
This enables the admin to turn off the entire Request Advertising feature.
Marketing User Field
The Marketing User is the individual designated to receive notifications of advertising requests. If no one is selected, the system automatically defaults to the user that initiated the oAuth process.
This turns on/off email notifications for the Marketing User. Unchecking this box means the Marketing User will not be notified by email when there are requests for advertising.
A Task for the Marketing User will be created whenever a request for advertising occurs. Unchecking this box means the Marketing User will not have a task created.
The installed package contains three permission sets:
- Demandbase Standard User Permission Set
Any user who does not have the System Administrator profile will need this permission set. This permission set, once cloned and adjusted, will need to be used for any user that needs access to the account/opportunity dashboard and Sales Accelerator tab.
- Demandbase Marketing User Permission Set
Users who will be responsible for managing marketing requests created in Sales Accelerator should have this permission set. It gives access to the “Manage Advertising Requests” tab that allows users the ability to approve/reject requests for advertising.
- Demandbase Admin Permission Set
Users who need to access the Sales Accelerator Setup tab whom are not already a System Administrator should be assigned to this permission set. This permission set allows the user to manage the entire configuration setup needed to manage this App. Reminder: The data sync process will need access to your account and opportunity objects. For the efficient functioning of the application, the user that runs the data sync processes should have full permissions to these objects.
Please follow the below instructions to clone and modify the Standard User Permission Set:
- Find the Demandbase Standard User Permission Set by navigating to
Setup > User > Permission Set
- Click the “Clone” button
- Rename the Label and API Name fields to include the suffix “Custom” so that you are able to find the correct permission set when assigning
- Click “Save” button
- Click on the cloned permission set and select “Assigned Apps”
- Press “Edit” and then move “DB4SF.Demandbase Sales Accelerator” to the Enabled Apps section. Click “Save”.
- Navigate back to the Permission Set Overview for the cloned permission set. Select “Object Settings” within the permission set.
- Navigate to “Pageview Data” and press the “Edit” button.
- Click only the “Read” checkbox and save.
- Repeat to provide “Pageview Data Top Page” object with “Read” access and Save
Note: These two Pageview Data objects can be enabled for a cloned version of the Admin and Marketing User Permission Sets if there is a desire to have stand-alone Permission Sets for those types of users.
In order to minimize customization steps, we recommend starting with only customizing the Standard User Permission Set and adding it to every non-System Admin user so they receive the base-level of permissions. Subsequent Admin and/or Marketing User Permission Sets can then be added on top of the Standard User Permission Set.
Account & Opportunity Page Layout Setup
Sales Accelerator offers a standard page layout and Salesforce1 mobile Visualforce page components for both account and opportunity objects. Both display the same information, but the Salesforce1 version has a mobile specific interface.
Note: Before making changes to the page layouts, the Salesforce Administrator should decide how the Sales Accelerator functionality would be rolled out. If only select users are going to gain access, the page layouts and user profiles for the select users should be cloned and modified to include the Sales Accelerator Visualforce page components. This is to prevent error messages from showing up on non-Sales Accelerator users pages. If you have any questions regarding this configuration please reach out for clarification.
Access the account page layouts by navigating to:
Setup > Customize > Account > Page Layouts
- Click the Visualforce Pages option in the left margin of the layout wizard. Select “Section” from within your options. Drag the component where you would like the Demandbase Sales Accelerator component to display.
- Section Properties:
- Section Name: Sales Accelerator
- Display Section Header On: Uncheck Detail Page and Edit Page
- Layout: select 1-Column
- Click OK
- Click the Visualforce Pages option again on the left margin of the page layout wizard and select the “AccountDetail” component. Drag the component into the Sales Accelerator section you just created.
- Click the Visualforce Pages option again in the left margin of the page layout wizard and select the “AccountDetailWidget” page. Drag it into the mobile cards (Salesforce1 only) section.
- Click the wrench icon in the right-corner of the “AccountDetailWidget” after you’ve moved it into the Mobile Card slot.
- Change the Height (in pixels) to 60
- Click “OK” button
- Click “Save” in the page layout wizard.
Repeat the same steps for the Opportunity object Page Layout. The component naming convention is identical except for that the Visualforce pages are named “OpportunityDetail” and “OpportunityDetailWidget”.
Mobile Setup Configuration (Required for Salesforce1 Implementation)
- Navigate to:
Setup > Administration Setup > Mobile Administration > Mobile Navigation
- Within the “Available” section you will see Demandbase appear as an option
- Select “Demandbase” and click the right-facing arrow
- Move the Demandbase selection to where you’d like it to appear within your Salesforce1 mobile navigation screen
- Click Save and you’re finished!
If you have any further questions, please reach out for further assistance. Thanks!